twitter




Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to make your own EMAIL provider service?

I bought a domain name and running a website. Later I think I might want to provide the users with email service, like for yahoo users can sign up for name@yahoo.com. I want to make my own "name@mydomainname.com" so people can register this service on my site -- how can I do that?

How to make your own EMAIL provider service?
You need to be running a mail server, for this the cheapest and simplest answer is Linux running Postfix and Dovecot as the mail handlers. You would need to subscribe to a fixed IP address, and set your domain registrar's dns A and MX records to point to your IP. You need to forward the smtp and pop3 ports to your IP on the router. You can offer IMAP web mail this way, but will need to set quotas on user mailboxes. You also need to run a database for user and security control if you need to automate user logins, and must be very careful of mail sending security or your site will become an open spam relay and be blacklisted.
Reply:This depends on what software you are running server side. Are you hosting this site on your own personal machine? Or through a hosting company. If you are using your own machine are you running Windows or Linux? If you are hosting from a company, contact them for an account setup. You need to give some more info.


No comments:

Post a Comment